Keep your home and your valuables protected with a few tips from our crime prevention experts.
- Lighting is crucial. A well lit exterior, illuminating all doors and accessible windows, can go a long way in deterring burglaries.
- Lighting inside is just as important.
- Motion detector lights are an efficient and inexpensive way to light the exterior of your home.
- Never post on Facebook or any social media site that you are going on vacation or will be away from your house for an extended period of time. This is a perfect opportunity for burglars to find out if you are home or not.
- Do not let newspapers or mail pile up when you are away. Have somebody you trust collect these items for you on a daily basis.
- Keep a spare key with a trusted neighbor; don’t hide it somewhere outside.
- Call the police and request they keep an eye on your property while you are away.
- Check that all your locks on doors and windows are functioning properly.
- Make friends with your neighbors and take turns watching over each other’s homes while one of you is away.
- Install an alarm system for greater peace of mind.
- Make sure your garage is closed and locked at all times. Cover your garage windows so nobody can see inside.
- Think like a burglar – Would you target your house? How easy would it be for you to get into your home?