City of Auburn Planning Board
Tuesday, May 4, 2010 6:30 PM, Memorial City Hall
Present: Anthony Bartolotta, Frank Reginelli, John Breanick, Anne McCarthy, Christopher DeProspero, Sam Giangreco
Absent: Allen Zentner
Staff: Stephen Selvek, P&CD Program Manager; Andy Fusco, Corporation Counsel; Greg Gilfus, APD
Absent: Brian Hicks, Code Enforcement
Agenda Items: 1-3, 5 Hulbert St.
The Chair calls the meeting to order. The Pledge of Allegiance is recited and roll is called.
Agenda Item 1: Minutes of April 6, 2010
As there is not a quorum for the minutes they are held until the next regularly scheduled meeting.
Agenda Item 2: Application for Site Plan Review to construct 17-car parking lot at 1-3 Hulbert St. Applicant: Community Computer Service
Chair invites the applicant to speak.
Mike Palmieri, Architect for the project – there will be two phases for the area. One is additional, one is existing. 25 spaces will be added in phase one and 18 in phase two. It is a residential area on the west side where we plan a berm and landscaping. The arterial is to the south side.
Chair opens the public hearing.
Linda Heatherington – property borders the southwest portion. Here to find out exactly what will be done. Last year snow was piled at the back of the property causing the melting run off to flood her basement and is concerned it may happen again. States this is actually the only time it has ever happened.
Mike Palmieri – we will be creating a buffer between the properties so any water will not be crossing property lines.
Linda Heatherington – questions the direction of the drainage.
Mike Palmieri – a swale is being created to take drainage away from the property. The berm will create a barrier between the properties.
Chair closes the public hearing and asks the Board for comments.
Christopher DeProspero – questions Officer Gilfus on traffic.
Greg Gilfus – does not see any problems.
John Breanick – questions set-backs
Stephen Selvek – for the building it is 5’ for the front, 0 for the sides and 20’ for the rear. For the parking lot it is 10’ for the front, 4’ for the rear and 4’ for the sides using whichever is less. In this case the setbacks will be 5’ for the front, 0 for the sides and 4’ for the rear. Setbacks as submitted are 10’ front, 4’ sides and 8’ rear. As for storm water management water is not allowed to drain on any other property. There will be grass swales for collection and bermed along the rear to create a swale between the berm and the parking lot. The 10 foot front setback will be for landscaping, water infiltration and a green area.
John Breanick – questions installation of drainage tile between properties.
Stephen Selvek – they would serve the same purpose as the swale. What will help is two fold: landscaping at the rear won’t allow snow to be stored there with the green areas for storage between the lots.
John Breanick – questions the snow storage.
Mike Palmieri – it will be at the rear of the property in the parking lot spaces there.
Stephen Selvek – wherever the snow storage is put there will be a loss of parking spaces. Off street parking is not required in this instance so anything they have is above and beyond what is required. Make it a part of the resolution that snow storage will not impact neighboring properties. It also depends on the snow fall that season.
Frank Reginelli – are there enough spaces to cover the need?
Mike Palmieri – close to 170 employees with trainers every month. It has been an issue. The lots will be at capacity.
John Breanick – has the proposed garage on State St. been considered?
Mike Palmieri – it has not been mentioned.
Chair asks for Staff comments.
Stephen Selvek – there are two corrections: the front drive is 18’ and the swale between the properties if 4’ minimum. The site plan resolution will add snow storage. Idea to regrade the southwest corner to the northwest. Planting bed to the rear to be raised at least 2 feet. SEQR (reads into the record). Recommendation is for a negative declaration on SEQR and approval of the Site Plan.
Motion for a negative declaration on SEQR made by John Breanick, seconded by Frank Reginelli. All members vote approval. Motion carried.
Motion for approval of the Site Plan made by Christopher DeProspero, seconded by Frank Reginelli. All members vote approval. Motion carried.
Stephen Selvek – update on 87 Orchard St. One of the questions last meeting concerned the applicant’s lease which I have obtained a copy of. The applicant has right and extent of lease. In this case the applicant has leased the front portion of the property and is therefore not responsible for the rear. Codes and AFD have viewed the property and will continue to work with the owner to address any issues. The final plan will be presented again next month.
Sam Giangreco – any debris will be addressed by Codes?
Stephen Selvek – yes, this is a Codes issue. Some items may stay as it is an Industrial area and zoned for that. Building materials are allowed.
Frank Reginelli – questions sidewalks and fencing.
Stephen Selvek – re: fencing, discussions have been opened. Will be used as needed between his leased property. However, some of the resident’s garage doors open over the property line so this needs to be taken into consideration. We will continue to discuss buffering issues.
Frank Reginelli – questions the lease.
Stephen Selvek – the lease is for one portion only. Mr. Elardo is not responsible for any area outside what he is leasing.
Andy Fusco – we are speaking speculatively here about a matter not on the agenda without input from the neighbors or the applicant. The Site Plan is a work in progress and will be addressed at the next meeting when presented.
Frank Reginelli – is he allowed to be in operation now?
Stephen Selvek – he is allowed to operate a personal, private garage. No sales.
Frank Reginelli – questions dealer sign
Andy Fusco – he has a State required dealer sign which he had already stated he had and kept up.
Frank Reginelli – is this permissible?
Andy Fusco – he had no vehicles on the property for sale
Frank Reginelli – questions the sidewalk.
Stephen Selvek – not at this time. It may be part of the sidewalk program next year.
Frank Reginelli – questions if NYSEG can be required to check the legality of properties before supplying service.
Stephen Selvek – have not checked that.
Frank Reginelli – adjoining properties should be shown on site plan.
Sam Giangreco – you are speaking on items outside this Board’s jurisdiction. Treat this plan as we treat any other.
Christopher DeProspero – questions the proposed new hotel on State St.?
Stephen Selvek – upcoming Site Plans may include:
- Rockland Supply Group – portions of the former Flummerfelt site on Grant Ave. Working with retailers for the site. They have a demolition permit.
- Hilton Garden Hotel and Convention Center on State St. – will require Site Plan review and will have to meet the requirements of the Code and the Comprehensive Plan along with Board approval.
No formal applications have been received at this time.
John Breanick – questions the proposed parking lot.
Stephen Selvek – this is a City project that will not be connected to the hotel project. It is unlikely it will come before this Board as the City is not required to do so.
Anne McCarthy – does the Eminent Domain issue have any meaning for us?
Stephen Selvek – only controversy-wise.
Sam Giangreco – however the property is acquired it is up to this Board to consider the project in accordance with the merits of said project and how it conforms to current Code requirements not personal feelings.
John Breanick – questions the connector road.
Stephen Selvek – nothing at this time. Nothing will be done until Council decides to acquire the required property.
John Breanick – extends sympathies to Brian Hicks on the death of his mother.
Next meeting – June 1, 2010 at 6:30 p.m.
Recorded by Alicia McKeen