Cayuga Museum of History and Art
203 Genesee Street, Auburn, NY 13021 • (315)253-8051
This mansion was the former residence of the prominent Willard-Case family who commissioned Tiffany Glass Co. to create the Willard Memorial Chapel in memory of Dr. Sylvester Willard, a long-time trustee of Auburn Theological Seminary. An original floral motif Tiffany window was installed at the mansion’s east entrance, before the design of the Willard Memorial Chapel, then part of the Seminary.
Housed in the Willard-Case mansion (built in 1836), the museum offers permanent and changing exhibits on local figures, events and items pertinent to the development of Cayuga County.
The Case Research Lab is the site where the first commercially successful system of sound film was invented in 1923. This invention made history as the Movietone sound system of Fox Films, now Twentieth Century Fox, and Fox Case Movietone News. Exhibits in the Lab include the working spaces of the darkroom, chemistry lab, the first sound camera and projector, an infrared signaling system, experimental recording equipment and a 1928 Movietone News.