Auburn is now one of only 7, ISO Class 1 Departments in New York State and one of 271 Departments in the Nation.
The City of Auburn Fire Department currently has an ISO Class 1 rating. This rating often assists in determining a homeowner’s or business’s cost on fire insurance premiums. The Auburn Fire Department is in the top 1% of the 2,273 New York fire department’s graded by ISO. Be sure your insurance company is aware that your fire department has a Class 1 rating. For more information on ISO, go to isomitigation.com. You may also scroll down to see what other information the ISO Public Protection Classification (PPC)
may be used for.
Distribution of Communities by PPC Class
How does PPC™ Information Affect Individual Insurance Policies?
ISO’s PPC™ information plays an important part in the decisions insurers make affecting the availability and price of property insurance. In fact, virtually all U.S. insurance companies — including the largest ones — use PPC information in one or more of the following ways:
- to identify opportunities for writing new business
- to achieve a reasonable concentration of property risks
- to review loss experience in various rating territories
- to offer coverage and establish deductibles for individual homes and businesses
Insurance companies — not ISO — establish the premiums they charge to policyholders. The methodology a company uses to calculate premiums for property insurance may depend on the company's fire-loss experience, underwriting guidelines, and marketing strategy.
Here are some general guidelines to help you understand the benefits of improved PPC ratings for residents and businesses:
- PPC may affect availability and/or pricing for a variety of personal and commercial insurance coverage, including homeowners, mobile home, fine-arts floaters, and commercial property (including business interruption).
- Assuming all other factors are equal, the price of property insurance in a community with a good PPC is lower than in a community with a poor PPC.