|The City of Auburn Fire Department takes pride in it's effort to educate the public about Fire Safety. The department offers free Fire Safety Talks, Fire Extinguisher
Demonstrations and Tours at our 2 Stations. During October (Fire Prevention Month) We visit all of the Elementary schools in the Auburn School District and talk with the students about fire safety, In 2012 Auburn Fire Department personnel visited over 2852 children in schools alone. Several hundred children and adults stopped by the Fire Stations for tours. The students all learn about the importance of such things like E.D.I.T.H (Exit Drills In The Home), Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors, Home Sprinkler Systems, Playing with Matches or Lighters and Stop, Drop & Roll. Along with visiting schools we also visit Assisted Living Facilities, High Rise Apartment Buildings and Commercial Businesses while stressing the importance
of dialing 911 in Emergencies and Performing Fire Extinguisher Demonstrations.
If you own a Dehumidifier, Click the link below and check to see if it has been recalled.
The list of Dehumidifiers have been associated with possibly causing fires.
Information on Family Communications during a disaster. CLICK HERE!
Information on Care for Your Pets during a disaster. CLICK HERE!
If you would like to learn more about Fire Safety Topics just CLICK HERE!
For some Easy and Quick Safety Tip Sheets CLICK HERE
To be better informed about Home Fires, Winter Storms & Extreme Cold, Severe Weather or Pandemics Check Out Ready.gov
MORE SAFETY ALERTS!
The following "Plan to Get Out Alive" video series was produced in 1988, although they are over 20 years old, they are realistic. But since they were made, fires now burn hotter because of the fuel they have to consume in today's modern world. That means the danger levels have increased. The message relayed still remains the same, smoke detectors save lives (now add carbon monoxide detectors to the mix), know at least 2 ways out, have a plan to get out, practice your plan to get out. AND don't leave food cooking in the kitchen unattended.....especially if you are tired or not completely alert. Click the links below to watch the "Plan to Get Out Alive" series.
Here are some GENERAL FIRE SAFETY TIPS:
Thousands of people die every year in residential fires. By following these simple fire safety practices, you can help keep yourself and your family from being among those thousands:
- Always have working smoke alarms in your home
- Always have working carbon monoxide detectors in your home
- Have a home fire escape plan and practice it twice a year
- Be careful when disposing of smoking materials, and never leave matches, lighters and candles unattended. Keep these out of the reach of children
- If your clothes should ever catch fire, remember STOP, DROP and ROLL; don’t forget to cover your face as you roll back and forth
- When cooking, never leave the stove unattended; keep pot and pan handles turned in and never leave mitts, towels or wooden utensils on the stove top; if cooking grease ignites, turn off the burner and cover the pan with a lid – DO NOT use water to put out the fire; keep a kitchen fire extinguisher within reach
- Have all heating appliances (fireplaces, stoves, etc.) and chimneys cleaned and inspected yearly by a qualified, licensed professional
- Never overload electrical outlets or string together extension cords; make sure an extension cord is designed to handle the current/wattage of the product being used; never run extension cords under rugs or across doorways, and take care not to pinch them under furniture legs or in doors
- Always clean the lint filter in your clothes dryer before or after each load of laundry; check the exhaust pipe periodically for a build-up of lint and clean as necessary; check outside vent flap periodically to make sure it’s clear of snow or other blockages; never leave the dryer running when you leave the house or when you go to bed – TURN THE DRYER OFF