Skip Navigation
Detail Detail
Auburn NY Home
Visit History's Hometown
Detail Detail
Live Feed
Subscribe to E-News
Video on Demand
Services A-Z
This table is used for column layout.
Auburn NY on Facebook
Follow Auburn on Twitter
Follow Auburn YouTube Channel
Follow Auburn on Instagram
Mayor/City Council Questions
Does the Mayor perform marriage ceremonies?
A. Due to recent reductions in the City's operating budget the Mayor's Office is regrettably no longer able to provide this service.  However there are other options:

    To be valid, a marriage ceremony must be performed by any of the individuals specified in Section 11 of the New York State Domestic Relations Law. These include -
    A justice or judge of the following courts: the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern or Western Districts of New York, the New York State Court of Appeals, the Appellate Division of the New York State Supreme Court, the New York State Supreme Court, the Court of Claims, the Family Court, a Surrogates Court, the Civil and Criminal Courts of New York City (including Housing judges of the Civil Court) and other courts of record; a village, town or county justice;

    A member of the clergy or minister who has been officially ordained and granted authority to perform marriage ceremonies from a governing church body in accordance with the rules and regulations of the church body;

    A member of the clergy or minister who is not authorized by a governing church body but who has been chosen by a spiritual group to preside over their spiritual affairs;

    Other officiants as specified by Section 11 of the Domestic Relations Law.

    The person performing the ceremony must be registered with the City of New York in order to perform a ceremony within the New York City limits. The official does not have to be a resident of New York State. Ship captains are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in New York State.

Can the Mayor attend our special event?
A.  The Mayor makes frequent public and private visits to help celebrate special events such as grand openings, ribbon cuttings, milestone birthdays, public rallies and fund raising events. All appearances are based on the Mayor’s availability and must be scheduled in advance.

How can I get a Mayoral Proclamation?
A.  Mayoral Proclamations may be issued for historical, cultural, civic celebrations, non-profit organizations and achievements, or events with significance to the City of Auburn. Auburn residents can request a Mayoral Proclamation to commemorate milestone birthdays of 75 years or more.  Proclamations may also recognize a special day, week or month. All requests must be submitted, at least two weeks prior to the event.  Requests, other than birthdays, will go through an internal review process. Proclamations taking sides in matters of political controversy or addressing personal convictions will not be issued.

When are City Council Meetings held?
A.  Auburn City Council Meetings are held on Thursdayseach month, at 6 pm.  Some meeting dates and time may change to observe holidays.

Who may attend a City Council Meeting?
A.  All City Council Meetings are open to the public.  All citizens are given the opportunity to address the Council with their concerns on any topic related to City business during the Public to be Heard portion of the City Council Agenda.

Detail Detail
Memorial City Hall
24 South Street, Auburn, NY 13021
Employee Login
Virtual Towns & Schools Website